I was asked to make a Jack O’ Lantern Coaster and I was also asked to use glow in the dark paint or pigment. So I combined both and came up with the fun Jack O’ Lantern coaster!
He does glow in the dark, but I can’t seem to figure out how to take a good picture of something that glows in the dark!
*This blog uses affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You will need:
- Coaster mold: https://amzn.to/3hRobwG
- Resin (this one is heat resistant): https://amzn.to/3cjKbii
- Black flat wire – I found it at Hobby Lobby, but here is something similar: https://amzn.to/3mGwf70
- Black acrylic paint: https://amzn.to/2Hcd5Wb
- Glow in the dark paint: https://amzn.to/2HpGIUl
- Something to color the resin orange. I used a combination of India ink and pigment dyes. You can use pigment powders, paint, or anything you like to color resin with. Here are some resing pigments: https://amzn.to/2ZSKFHp
- Glue: https://amzn.to/3mGrmL9
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Bend the wire into two triangles and the mouth. Using glue that dries clear, apply to the seams of all the pieces (where the two ends of the wires meet). Allow to dry.
2. Prepare your resin and mix in your colors to come up with the orange. I experimented with India inks and dyes.3. Pour a thin layer into the mold and place the metal pieces into the resin.
4. Allow to cure.
5. Use black acrylic paint and paint in the eyes and mouth.
6. When the black is dry, paint over it very thickly with the glow in the dark paint. You can skip this if you just want to keep the eyes and mouth black.
7. Once everything is dry, mix more resin and pour the clear layer over the whole thing.
8. Allow to cure and unmold!
If you like this coaster project, I made a fun Pumpkin Patch Coaster that you might want to try!
Happy Halloween and thank you for stopping by! Happy Crafting!