One of my YouTube subscribers asked if I could make a holder for the coasters she had been making. I was happy to oblige!
I found this four inch round paper mache box that I thought would be perfect. My husband raised the concern that they would be hard to take out because you can’t get your fingers in there. In response to his suggestion, I cut a notch down the side of the box, so it would allow someone to more easily remove a coaster.
You will need:
– 4 inch round paper mache box
– Drawer pull
– Green acrylic paint
– Black acrylic paint
– Protective coating, polyurethane, Triple Thick, or any product that works for you
– Mod Podge
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Cut a notch out of the side of the box.
2. Paint the lower part green and the lid black – it will need two coats.
3. Draw or find a picture of a flower and print it out. Cut out the flowers for decoupage.
4. When the box is dry, put the lid on the bottom. Take one of your cut out flowers and put it in some water, dunk it under and immediately remove it. This will allow the paper to expand and it will help prevent wrinkles when you apply it to the box. Cover an area with Mod Podge and lay the flower on it. Brush more Mod Podge on top of the flower and carefully smooth it with your finger. Repeat with remaining flowers. Allow to dry.
5. Take a screw and punch a hole into the middle of the lid. You can also drill a hole through it.
6. Put polka dots on the lid. I took the flat end of a skewer to create the polka dot design. Allow to dry.
7. Coat entire box with a polyurethane, or Triple Thick. Allow to dry.
8. Attach drawer pull. You may need to add washers to the inside of the box to make sure the drawer pull is secure.
**Additional helpful tips and information can be found in the video.
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Crafting!
2 thoughts on “Whimsical Coaster Holder”
What a fun & unique idea!