Using Craigslist freebies I did a dining room makeover on a budget!! I took a table and four chairs that were not meant to be together and turned them into a boutiquey chic set! I’ll show you how!
Who doesn’t love free stuff, right? Well I love scouring Craigslist. The progression seems to be:
FOR SALE….FREESTUFF…..CURB ALERT! I try to catch it before it turns into CURB ALERT, because I figure I would never be the first one there. Be sure to check out the quick video below!
The table was from a nearby town and the people were moving. It had been poorly painted and used as a craft table in a laundry room. I liked the shape and the size. The chairs were actually really close by and the people were also moving. Both the table and chairs were one day away from being put out at the curb for garbage day and that would have been a shame!
*Note: Always be careful when you are going to buy or sell something from Craigslist. We’ve all heard the stories, so be smart and be safe about it. Most people are honest and good, just don’t fall victim to the not good.
You will need (affiliate links):
– A wood dining room table
– Four chairs with cushions
– Fabric to recover cushions – I used a duck cloth.
– Paint stripper: https://amzn.to/2S6VD6h
– White chalk paint: https://amzn.to/2Llzqi4
– Finishing wax: https://amzn.to/2EzVapW
– Ebony stain with polyurethane (if you can find it) or you can polyurethane separately: https://amzn.to/2ECaQsC
– Staple gun: https://amzn.to/2Llor8i
– Odorless mineral spirits: https://amzn.to/2UR3rL8
– Sandpaper: https://amzn.to/2rHYzdN
4. I painted the legs of the table a chalky white. That took two coats.
5. I removed the seats from the chairs and put them aside.
6. I painted the chairs with the same chalky white paint. That took three coats.
8. I used wax to seal the chalky painted areas.
Remember: Life’s too short not to shimmer, so grab your glue gun and your glitter!™ Stay Safe!