Today we are making Merry Christmas ornament coasters! It’s a great resin craft idea to add to your Christmas decoration ideas!
*This blog uses affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wood ornaments: check Hobby Lobby
Silver glitter: https://amzn.to/33ea0KK
Gold Glitter: https://amzn.to/35sLbMq
Red paint: https://amzn.to/2QJNSVK
Green paint: https://amzn.to/2XDogvg
Mixing cups: https://amzn.to/31RZ7xU
Stir sticks: https://amzn.to/323Av59
Wet Ones: https://amzn.to/2pXbqrQ
Resin (use whatever resin brand you like):
Easy Cast: http://amzn.to/2yjYmBC
Art Resin: http://amzn.to/2yk9X3z
Clear Cast: http://amzn.to/2z4rxGw
This is the resin I used for this project:
FX Poxy: http://amzn.to/2AF3Pkk ~ According to the manufacturer, this one is heat resistant to 500 degrees F.
Here is the quickie video tutorial:
Full tutorial with explanations and tips can be found at the end of post!
1. I found these laser wood cut outs and thought they were a great size for coasters, so I painted one green and one red.
2. Once dry, I put packing tape on the back of the ornaments and used a bone folder to burnish the tape to the wood ornaments.
3. Then, I trimmed off the excess.
4. I mixed one ounce of resin.
5. I added silver and gold fine glitter and mixed it all up.
6. I began dripping the resin into the voids. I eventually realized that the resin would set before I ever finished dripping it into the ornament…
….so I took a different approach.
7. I dripped and poured the resin over the coaster.
8. Then I took my stir stick and scraped off the excess.
9. I took a wet wipe and gave it a quick clean.
10. Then I repeated it one the green one.
11. I took my lighter and quickly popped the bubbles. DO NOT LINGER TOO LONG IN ONE SPOT! YOU WILL SET YOUR PROJECT ON FIRE! Then I let it cure for a minimum of 12 hours.
12. I removed the packing tape from the backs of the coasters.
Here they are!
They make perfect coasters!
You can add strings and use them as ornaments instead.
Thanks for stopping by! Remember: Life’s too short not to shimmer, so grab your glue gun and your glitter!™ Stay safe!
Here is the Full Video Tutorial!
It should answer your questions.