Learn how to make Jalapeño pepper coasters for your home decor with this easy craft tutorial!
I don’t enjoy eating spicy foods or jalapeños, but I do like the look of them!
This is great if you do love spicy food or it would make a great gift for someone who does. Maybe make it for a Father’s Day gift! Of course, it works as a great addition to your Cinco de Mayo decorations!
I made these as wood coasters, but don’t just think about them as coasters. You can enlarge them and have them be really fun decorations! Think wall decor or something you might have sitting on a mantel or shelf, or the buffet table during a Cinco De Mayo celebration or Taco Tuesday.
Cinco De Mayo Inspired Ideas!
I have other fun ideas that go along with the whole Cinco De Mayo and pepper theme!
- Cinco De Mayo Coasters
- DIY Easy Cinco De Mayo Sombreros
- Margarita Pie Recipe
- Chili Peppers and Mung Beans Coaster
Supplies You Will Need To Make The Jalapeno Drink Coasters
- 1/4′ plywood: go to the hardware store
- Saw: http://amzn.to/2ptcaWG
- Triple Thick: http://amzn.to/2qmlCIw
- Red and green acrylic paint
- Sandpaper or Dremel tool: http://amzn.to/2pFNbjO
Here is the Video Tutorial, so you can see exactly how I made it!
Directions on How To Make The Jalapeño Coasters
1. Draw a jalapeño. Make sure it is large enough to accommodate having a glass sitting on it. Cut it out.
2. Trace it onto 1/4 inch plywood and cut out.
3. Make sure to sand the edges.
4. Paint the jalapeño. Start with the red. This will take a minimum of two coats. Let it dry.
5. With a pencil, lightly draw on the area that will be green for the top of the jalapeño.
6. With a thin brush, paint the green. This will also take a minimum of two coats. Let it dry.
7. Once dry, you want to seal it. I used Triple Thick, which works great and has a good look. It will withstand the use of cold drinks. You can use an outdoor sealer, if you want to have something a little more durable and if you think it might be wet for hours at a time.
Be sure to PIN IT for later!
Jalapeno and Chili Peppers Decor
If you want to add even more spice to your life and decor, check out these fun pepper decor ideas!
That’s it! Thanks for stopping by!
Remember: Life’s too short not to shimmer, so grab your glue gun and your glitter!™ Stay safe!